52 All-GLIAC Awards

37 All-America Awards

Comeback Effort Ends in Heartbreak as Wildcats Fall to FSU

Comeback Effort Ends in Heartbreak as Wildcats Fall to FSU

MARQUETTE, Mich. – The Northern Michigan University Men's Basketball team came back from an 11-point second half deficit to tie the game at 59-59 but a three-pointer from Ferris State University proved the difference as the Wildcats fall 62-59.


Senior Naba Echols (Memphis, Tenn.) led the Wildcats with 19 points and also had four assists. Junior Sam Taylor (Chicago, Ill.) and senior Isaiah Johnson (Whitefish Bay, Wis.) finished with 11 points each. 

Junior Myles Howard (Chicago, Ill.) notched a career-high 14 rebounds and finished with three blocked shots. Taylor snagged eight rebounds while Johnson tallied six.


Ferris State jumped out to a 9-2 lead early in the game, with junior Kenton Mack (Algonquin, Ill.) making a layup for NMU. Echols added a jumper, two free throws plus a layup to make it 9-8 at the first media time out. 

After the time out, FSU made two free throws and a jumper before Taylor hit back-to-back threes to give the Wildcats a 14-13 lead at the 11:49 mark. Echols added a basket but the Bulldogs soon tied it at 16-16 before the teams traded baskets, with redshirt freshman Troy Summers (Grayling, Mich.) scoring for NMU to tie the game, 18-18, with 8:13 on the clock.

Johnson gave the Wildcats a 21-18 lead with a three, but a free throw and layup from FSU tied it again, this time at 21-21 with 6:32 to go in the half. Mack made another layup to give NMU the lead back but FSU answered to take a 24-23 lead with at the final media timeout of the half.

Ferris State pushed out to a 26-23 lead but Johnson made two free throws before sophomore Alec Fruin (Beloit, Wis.) made a three. Echols followed with a layup, then Howard made a free throw to make the score 31-26 with 1:08 on the clock.

A three-point play by FSU moved them closer before Taylor hit his third three-pointer of the day. FSU made a layup in the final seconds of the half, to send the teams into the break with NMU leading 34-31.


Johnson opened the second half with a free throw and Summers made a layup to push NMU up 37-31 less than two minutes into the half. After two free throws from the guests, Echols hit a jump shot to make it 39-33 with 18:00 on the clock.

The Bulldogs responded with a run to take a lead which Taylor stopped with a layup to make it 44-41 with FSU on top. Ferris State then pushed out to a 52-41 lead with ten minutes to go in the game.

A minute later, Summers made a layup to get the scoring restarted for NMU. The Bulldogs answered with a layup but Fruin responded with a jumper. FSU added a layup before Echols hit a free throw to make it 56-46 with 7:28 to go.

Echols free throw started a run for NMU as the Wildcats would go on a run. Summers scored, followed by an Echols three-pointer and layup. The Bulldogs made a free throw but Johnson followed with a three-pointer to tie the game at 57-57 with 2:56 to play.

With 22 seconds to go, FSU made a layup. After calling timeout and throwing the ball in near halfcourt, Johnson got open and beat his defender for a layup off the inbounds pass to tie the game at 59-59 with 11 seconds to go.

However, FSU's DeShaun Thrower was able to hit a three-pointer from the wing in front of the Ferris State bench with 1 seconds left to capture a 62-59 victory.


The Wildcats fall to 8-7 on the year and are now 3-5 in the GLIAC while Ferris State improves to 12-7 and 4-4 in the GLIAC. NMU will return to action Thursday night as they take on Davenport University in another GLIAC matchup, hosted by 906 Technologies.